If you are missing teeth and considering your treatment options, be sure to visit your implant dentist in San Diego. Dental implants are advanced restorations that many experts believe are the top choice to replace missing teeth. Dr. George Georgaklis, an esteemed La Jolla implant dentist, has years of experience placing dental implants, and his patients are consistently very pleased with the results of their treatment. How much do you know about dental implants? Find out with this quiz. Then call us to learn whether the treatment is right for you.
- Which of the following may affect your candidacy for dental implants?
A. Advanced age
B. Jawbone recession
C. Dental anxiety
D. Missing a large number of teeth
- True or False: Implant surgery involves a great deal of discomfort.
- How long does it usually take for your bone and gums to heal after implant surgery?
A. One month
B. One year
C. 4 to 6 months
D. 8 to 10 months
- True or False: While you are recovering, we can provide a temporary restoration.
Check the Answers, Courtesy of Your La Jolla Implant Dentist
- B. Jawbone recession. Because your implants will become a permanent part of your jaw, you must have enough bone volume to provide a solid foundation for the restorations. Your implant dentist in San Diego will use CT scans and x-rays to examine the structure of your jawbone. If your jaw has started to recede, he may be able to place the implants in a way that will maximize your remaining bone volume.
There is no upper age limit for dental implants. As long as you are in good health, and the procedure will not pose any unnecessary health risks, you can consider this treatment. Dental anxiety is also not a concern when it comes to candidacy. We offer oral and IV sedation, so you will not really be aware of what is going on during your surgery. Finally, implants are a good solution no matter how many teeth you are missing. An implant can hold up a crown, bridge, or even a full denture.
- False. Your La Jolla implant dentist will numb your gums and jawbone before your surgery, so you will feel little more than a sense of pressure during your procedure. Following the treatment, you will experience minor to moderate gum sensitivity, swelling, and irritation. However, Dr. Georgaklis will use gentle, precise methods to minimize discomfort and recovery time.
- C. Four to six months. During this time, your bone and gum tissue will heal around the implant posts. This process is called osseointegration. It will enable the implants to take the place of your dental roots, providing a stable and permanent base for your replacement teeth.
- True. While you are recovering, you will not have to worry about embarrassing gaps in your smile. Our temporary restorations will allow you to eat with only a few dietary adjustments. We offer several types of temporary restorations, including temporary crowns, Valplast® partial dentures, and inexpensive, removable flippers.
About Your Implant Dentist in San Diego
George Georgaklis, DDS is renowned for his skill and diverse range of expertise. His lifelike dental implants are extremely durable, and, thanks to his clinical skill, your procedure will involve minimal discomfort. Schedule an appointment with your La Jolla implant dentist today to learn more about this treatment.