Missing teeth are detrimental to your appearance and dental function. Fortunately, there are a number of tooth replacement options available. Bridges and dentures can certainly improve your look, bite, and self-esteem. However, when you receive treatment from an implant dentist in San Diego, you will enjoy a number of additional benefits. For example, implants offer greater stability and durability than any other type of restorations. They can also improve your overall oral health by preventing jawbone degeneration and further tooth loss. Dr. Georgaklis is a trusted implant dentist in La Jolla. He will use advanced dental imaging to create a precise treatment plan and provide stunning, lifelike restorations with minimal discomfort.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants will permanently replace one or more missing teeth. After examining the overall structure of your jawbone with panorex x-rays or a CT scan, Dr. Georgaklis will carefully place these small, titanium posts in your bone. He will administer local anesthesia before this process, and he can also provide stronger sedation, if needed. Therefore, you will experience very little discomfort during implant surgery. Following the placement of your implants, it will typically take 4 to 6 months for your bone to heal. As it does, the soft and hard tissues will seal around the posts, and they will replace your dental roots. While you are healing, we can provide a temporary restoration. After your full recovery, Dr. Georgaklis will attach small abutment pieces to the implants. These pieces will connect your custom-crafted restorations to the posts. You can replace one tooth with an implant-supported crown. You could also opt for an implant-supported bridge or full denture.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
There are many reasons to visit an implant dentist in San Diego. The advantages of this treatment include:
- Greater stability: As stated above, implants will replace your dental roots. Therefore, unlike a traditional bridge or denture, the restorations will never slip out of place. You can speak and smile with confidence.
- Permanent restorations: During the healing process, your bone and gums will integrate with the biocompatible implants. Therefore, your implants could last the rest of your life. However, it is important to maintain good hygiene, as gum disease could compromise your restoration.
- Near-perfect dental function: In the past, individuals with missing teeth faced a restricted diet for life. Crunchy or very chewy foods were off-limits, as they could damage the restoration or pull it out of place. Thanks to the durability and strength of dental implants, you will need to make few dietary adjustments, if any at all.
- Protection for your jawbone: Like tooth roots, implants will send regenerative signals to your jawbone. These signals will prevent bone degeneration, one of the most common side effects of tooth loss. In turn, your new restoration will protect the overall shape and proportions of your face. By preserving your healthy bone structure, they can also prevent further tooth loss.
- A beautiful appearance: Implants are the most lifelike type of dental restoration. They replacement teeth will sit right against your jawbone, so they will be essentially identical to natural teeth. Plus, by preserving your bone structure, implants can help maintain your youthful look.
Contact Your Implant Dentist in La Jolla
Contact our office to schedule an appointment with George Georgaklis, DDS. When you receive treatment at our practice, you will enjoy his advanced technology, compassionate care, and personalized treatment planning.