When you receive dental treatment, your smile is not the only concern. It is certainly important to choose a practitioner who will protect your dental health and provide beautiful esthetic results. However, your oral and physical health are closely related. Dental treatments can significantly affect your systemic wellbeing. Therefore, it is important to receive care from a holistic dentist in San Diego. Dr. George Georgaklis uses safe, all-natural treatments and materials. In this way, he can protect your teeth and prevent serious health problems. To learn more about these treatments, take this quiz, courtesy of your holistic dentist in La Jolla.
Take the Quiz, Courtesy of Your Holistic Dentist in La Jolla
- Which of the following metals is not found in silver amalgam?
- Mercury exposure can cause which of the following health concerns?
A. An increased risk for premature birth
C. Neurological disorders
D. All of the above
- True or False: Metal-free restorations can protect your teeth better than silver amalgam restorations.
- True or False: Dr. Georgaklis is careful about recommending ozone therapy because it can trigger a severe allergic reaction.
- Which of the following is not an effective treatment for gum disease?
B. Laser therapy
C. Gum contouring
D. Ozone therapy
Check Your Answers
- C. Gold. Silver amalgam is made with a combination of silver, copper, tin, zinc, and mercury. Alarmingly, amalgam fillings can sometimes contain up to 50% mercury, which can cause serious health problems. In the past, many dentists offered gold fillings. Although this material will not cause any health risks, it will detract from the appearance of your smile. Therefore, Dr. Georgaklis only offers tooth-colored restorations.
- D. All of the above. Mercury has been linked to these conditions and many more. Other mercury-related concerns include heart disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, a compromised immune system, hormone irregularity, and reduced cognitive dysfunction, among others. In fact, several European countries have banned amalgam restorations because of the associated health risks. Although the US still allows this material, Dr. Georgaklis is proud to be a leader in the fight against silver amalgam.
- True. Along with reducing your risk for mercury-related health conditions, tooth-colored restorations are better for your teeth. Composite and porcelain will form a stronger bond to strengthen your tooth more effectively. In addition, Dr. Georgaklis will typically need to remove less of your tooth structure when he is placing a composite or porcelain restoration.
- False. Ozone is made up of three pure oxygen molecules. Therefore, it is impossible to have an allergic reaction to the compound.
- C. Gum contouring. Gum contouring is a cosmetic procedure during which Dr. Georgaklis will remove excess or uneven tissues. In this way, he can enhance your appearance and give you a bigger, brighter smile. If you are struggling with gum disease, he may combine multiple treatments for more effective care. He can use a dental laser to eliminate pockets of bacteria from your gums. The high energy laser is very precise, and you will experience minimal inflammation. PeriodyneTM capsules contain cetylated oils. When you apply the oils directly to your gums, they can destroy bacteria and reduce bleeding. Ozone therapy is also an effective option. Ozonated water or ozone gas will kill bacteria more effectively than abrasive chemicals.